- Ayoba is an instant messaging app developed by SIMFY AFRICA and rolled out earlier this year by MTN. MTN Uganda customers DO NOT need MBs to use the app
- Paving the way to aSuperApp, ayoba has unique features such as chat, gaming, music channels as well as communication with feature phone users via SMS and local language options in Luganda& Swahili.
- Now customers can send and receive money to one another within the Ayoba app.
Monday 19th October 2020 – Kampala, Uganda: MTN Uganda has introduced Mobile Money person to person transactions within the ayoba App, a feature that will enable customers to send money to each other in-app, while chatting, without having to log out of the app in order to send money.
In July this year, MTN Uganda in partnership with SIMFY AFRICA,launchedayoba, with a core aim of enabling their customers to access more affordable communication. Ayoba is an instant messaging appthat is currently available to Android devices with the iOS version set to be rolled out soon.
Talking about the new features on the App, Susan Kayemba, the Senior Manager, MTN Digital Services said that; “We are happy to inform our customers that they can now send money and receive money within the ayoba app while they chat. They can also listen to music or play games and soon iOS device users will be able to access the ayoba super app and become part of this revolutionary communication experience.”
Kayemba further noted that MTN and SIMFY will continue modifying the ayoba app to integrate all their customers’ telecommunication needs.
According to the ayoba app developers, ayoba is not just a new platform for people to chat with each other, it is a one of a kind digital platform that elevates the concept of instant messaging to a whole new level of instant and integrated connecting
Unlike other messaging apps, with ayoba, customers can chat (app to SMS and SMS to app)with anyone regardless of whether they have a smart phone or not, or whether they have the ayobaapp or not. MTN customers canreply to these messages on SMS even when they don’t have the app. ayobalets you securely send and receive text messages, voice messages, videos, images, audio and other files with any of your contacts, using your mobile internet connection.MTN customers will however not need any data (MBs) to use the service.They can use it free of charge up to 1GB of data, every month.
Ayoba is a Pan African messaging platform, built by Africans for Africans. Itspeaks to the uniqueness and diversity of Africa and boasts of features not available on any other instant messaging platforms. The app is available in some African languages, such as Swahili,Luganda, Hausa, isiXhosa, and Yoruba. It has end-to-end encryption to keep users’ data safe and ensure their privacy as theychat with their contacts regardless of their device or network. ayoba also has channels on sports, fashion, cooking, health,and games.
This innovation, underscores MTN’s leadership ambitions in innovation as it helps Africa claim its place in the IMevolution.
Key features of the ayobaapp include:
- Chat now: Users can instantly send and receive text and voice messages with any of their contacts regardless of device type or network.
- Music: Users can now listen to curated playlists of their favorite music and artists on ayoba
- Gaming: Users can play a large selection of in – appgames
- FREE to use: It is free to use by MTN customers for up to 1GB every month, for every user.
- Mobile Money (send & receive): Users can now send money in – app
- Chat with everyone: Users can send SMS text messages with anyone in their contact list, regardless of whether they have ayoba installed or not.
- Channels: Users can subscribe to channels of interest for locally relevant content across various categories.
- Local languages: ayoba is available in the top local languages in the markets where the offering has launched.
- Security: End-to-end encryption means that messages in a conversation cannot be read by anyone else.
About MTN Uganda
Launched in 1998, MTN Uganda is the leading communications operator in Uganda, offering Mobile and Fixed telecommunications, Mobile Money Services and Internet Service Provisioning. As at 31st December 2018, MTN Uganda recorded 11.2 million subscribers across Uganda. Visit us at www.mtn.co.ug or follow uson www.youtube.com/mtnug and www.twitter.com/mtnug or www.twitter.com/mtnugpro for assistance.
About the MTN Group
Launched in 1994, the MTN Group is a leading emerging market operator with a clear vision to lead the delivery of a bold new digital world to our 240 million customers in 21 countries in Africa and the Middle East. We are inspired by our belief that everyone deserves the benefits of a modern connected life. The MTN Group is listed on the JSE Securities Exchange in South Africa under the share code “MTN”. We are pursuing our BRIGHT strategy with a major focus on growth in data, fintech and digital businesses.
ayoba is a free Instant Messaging (IM) application (App) developed and owned by SIMFY AFRICA – Cape Town, South Africa.
Although Africa is one continent, it is also the home to hundreds of unique cultures. ayoba celebrates the diversity of Africa by providing a world-class messaging platform that reflects local needs and aspirations.
ayoba’s inclusive approach to technology means that ayoba users will be able to communicate with with anyone with a mobile device, even if they don’t have the ayoba app. During an initial promotional period, this communication is made available at no cost, across selected mobile network operators.
For more information, please contact:
The email@example.com 077 212 1372 or
RhonaArinaitwe at firstname.lastname@example.org 077 2123067 or
Emmy Olaki at email@example.com or 078 260 5997