By Leilah Bbaale
Suspected Congolese Militiamen have again raided the Lake Albert waters in Hoima district and robbed three boat engines, one fishing boat and sixteen solar batteries. The attack occurred near the Kaiso landing site in Kabaale sub-county, Hoima district on Tuesday.
The seven suspected militiamen, four of them dressed in the DRC military uniform, placed several fishermen at gunpoint and ordered them to surrender their fishing gear. After executing their mission, they crossed to the Democratic Republic of Congo, according to Ethien Arua, one of the affected fishermen.
Julius Hakiza, the Albertine region police spokesperson says that investigations into the matter are ongoing. He, however, explains that attempts by Ugandan security authorities to engage their counterparts in the DRC to end the persistent attacks have so far failed to yield fruit.
Hakiza says currently the issues are out of hand adding that they are now seeking the intervention of the centre to see how they can engage the Congolese government at a higher level.
Attacks by the suspected DR Congo militiamen on Ugandan fishermen have been rampant since 2018. The latest was on July 12, 2021, when suspected Congolese Militiamen raided the Lake Albert waters and shot three Ugandan fishermen. The incident happened near the Senjojo Landing Site in Kyangwali Sub County, Kikuube district injuring Robert Amukuhikiriza, Deo Busobozi and Seremos Byaruhanga, all attached to Nsunzu B landing site in Buhuka parish.